SO! After well over the original time of 1 year (52 weeks per the form), I got permanency in my title. Essentially I have proved that I am worth keeping. This is similar in effect to “tenure”, but is more a protection from improper politiqual influence than protection of uneasy research ideas.
In a few months, I can start the process for obtaining my professional license, which – when done – entituls me to the next title in the ladder. This will restart the process of 52 weeks of uncertainty.
I have not abandoned the blogging, but have been very busy with the volunteering and work. What a change from the bad old times at the previous agencia. This one is enjoyable and entertaining (often) and ultimately useful to me because I can be useful to it in its purpose.
I do have ideas and pictures and things, I just need the time and memory to put them here.
I neglected to blog about it, but about two days ago I received my official State instrument of identity. It is much less involved than a driver’s license, all it contains is my name, photograph, signature (both stolen from the DMV) and the name of the agency I work for. It doesn’t even have a number on it.
I was going to say that this makes me officially a member of the State service now, since there is nothing left, but I learned yesterday, that I haven’t gotten the huge packet of forms that I have to fill out for things like union membership (this state has public sector unions) and insurance.
To my amusement, I’ve been getting paid, but have not filled out I-9. While I am a citizen, the State has no way of knowing that absent that form, so I think that they might be on the edge of the (federal) employment law.
To my great satisfaction, I received word from my defacto supervisor that I now have an Email address and username for the State agency I work for. It has been exactly four weeks since I started there.
After waiting on hold yesterday for an interminable 35 minutes at the end of the day, today at lunchtime I contacted them again and after about 20 minutes got a person who set my password and told me what it was, so I could log in. I did so and then set up Outlook and discovered a 20 message backfile that had been accumulating. I read through it: mostly form letters, but one message that stated that I had a new password, which I couldn’t’ve read anyway because it was sent to my Email address… that used that password.
So now I have a way of officially communicating with people. Annoyingly, I do not yet have access to two internal websites that we do most of our work on. These I have to request access to. One of them is in progress, the other one I will work on tomorrow.