I fixed the phone!

A Kellogg / IT&T branded Western Electric 500 deskset wouldn’t dial out right because the dial wouldn’t return after a high number (if you dialed 0 it would stop spinning back at about 7).

I took the top off, then removed the dial from its holding bracket. I removed the clear plastic cover, and disassembled the entire gear thing and cleaned up all of the contact places. No surprize most were dirty some how and many were very black with spent oil. Cleaned all that up, used some PTFE-based lubricant I had for something else, reassembled it, and it didn’t work.

Spent the next ~2.5 hours fixing the problem I made when I bent the contacts while cleaning them. I had a Bell System WE500 off to the side to compare mine to. Finally, it works properly. I dialed the operator, my work-issued phone, a relative of mine, and the office I work at. Everything went fine.

Aside: a friend of mine calls these “spin phones”.

Tell-O-phone; or, in search of the Dial Tone

I previously blogged about getting utility service at a new location. I finally have telephone service, but had to expend some effort to get it.

Continue reading Tell-O-phone; or, in search of the Dial Tone