Some fun things that can happen to you volunteering @yourlibrary:
- Finding a book that had been misshelved and marked as missing in the catalog/ILS.
- Managing to answer a patron’s question so thoroughly you know they will never be back.
- Succeeding in telling a patron they are somehow doing something wrong without actually telling them and insulting/annoying them.
- Finding out that someone needed volume XXVII of a series and you happen to have that one volume of the entire series.
- Catching a terrible book before some patron finds it and complains.
I highly recommend it if you are interested in learning things and have time to kill. Just be careful of partisans who don’t want things to change at all, ever.
Let me know if you have things to add to the list.