I am a mental illness; hence the lack of posting.
I just installed Windows 10’s April 2018 update, version 1803.
Part of this update entails removing XPS reader software that was part of all previous versions of 10, and instructing us to find an app in the Store for it.
I download Microsoft’s “Reader” app and install it from the Store.
Opening an XPS file with the new app brings up an error message… that I have to use XPS reader (the one installed with Windows).
Agfh! Is Microsoft trying to annoy me?
Although well known to day for its social liberalism, Massachusetts was formerly a notorious Puritianic stronghold. This can be easily seen in looking through the current (!) laws.
Although I don’t think I had mentioned it, but can’t remember (which shows what comes of leaving your blog alone for too long), I had been for some time looking for a new posting in the State service. To my enjoyment, last Thursday it came true.
I am now posted to the Health Department as an engineer, environmental. This difference is quite significant for me, as the old one (civil) wasn’t what I went to school for and made me feel out of place.1
In this case, good things did come to those who waited, since I was passed over for one position further north, but made a good enough impression to be recommended by those interviewers for a new position open closer to where I was working already. An interview and some paper shuffling on their part and I was offered the position!
Now I get to go through another year long probational period, but all told I think it will be a nice one. I no longer have a half-office but a full cubicle in the back of the back of a building that houses another State function. Not bad, only there is no way to open the windows and get fresh air, but I can survive I think (:
- Note that my co workers and supervision did not contribute to this problem, only the my self. ↩
…if you have been wondering why I haven’t blogged anything at all recently. That is the primary reason. Another is getting a new job very shortly.
I am not abandoning blogging, but do have to slow down for now.
Your continued interest is appreciated.
Here is a new game for science and engineering, to determine between two people:
- Two pairs of scissors. If someone is left-handed, they should have left-handed scissors.
- A large sheet of paper with perfect 90° corners
- Some witnesses
- A planimeter or something like it
- Select by mutual agreement the distance in from the edge to cut. For an A4 or 8½ × 11, maybe 3 cm or 1 in.
- At the same time, start each person starts cutting a strip off their side of the paper by using the scissors.
- When complete, the witnesses use the planimeter to determine the variation from a true straight line of each of the two cuts. The person with the smallest total area above and below the perfect line wins.
- If both are identical, the person who did it using fewer cuts wins.
- If both are identical, the person who did it more quickly wins.
This is best done with waste or scrap paper that is blank on one side, to prevent paper waste.
As an advantage over the other paper based game, rock-paper-scissors, it is based on skill and not chance.
It appears I have made a mile stone in my blogging.
I’m getting spammed by people smart enough to not get blocked automatically by the WordPress system. I have no idea why this is, all of the sudden, the case. I’ve thrown out probably 6 bad comments so far. Fortunately I pre-approve them, so no one was exposed to their trash.
An apology for my lack of activity this past long week end.
I am represented at work by a union. A union of people who don’t construct sentences very well.